We would like to issue a warning about fraudulent behaviour that has taken place under name of Landsbankinn, and remind you that a transfer of funds should never be approved unless you really intend to transfer funds.
This week, an internet scam was detected whereby people were being lured onto a false log-in site for Landsbankinn’s home bank service. In some cases, customers entered their username and password, and consequently that information was now in the hands of internet hackers. After that, they received a request from the fraudsters where they were asked to identify themselves, including by giving their PIN code.
However, this information is not sufficient for the fraudulent parties to log into the home bank/app, as login must be confirmed by giving approval, for instance by entering and identification number that is provided by SMS.
For this reason, we would like to reiterate the following:
- Never approve a login, transfer or any other actions in the home bank/app, unless you are actually performing these actions.
- Do not approve a login by electronic certificate unless you are actually using them to log in.
- It is not certain that funds that are lost in this manner can be recovered, in which case you may have to bear the loss.
- We never send you a link that brings you onto the login page of the home bank or the app. Always enter our website in the conventional manner – www.landsbankinn.is – in order to log in to the home bank.
- We recommend that you familiarize yourself with cybersecurity issues and ways in which to resist cyberfraud at landsbankinn.is/netoryggi.
What should I do if I’m the victim of fraud?
- Customers who have provided information on a fraudulent page must immediately change their password and PIN code.
- Contact us as soon as you can by telephone number 410 4000, e-mail address email@example.com, or live chat.
- If your card or card number is stolen, you can block it immediately in the Landsbankinn app.
- Outside banking hours, you can call the emergency number of the relevant credit card company. The emergency number of Valitor, which issues Visa cards, is 525 2000.
You can report the fraud to the police by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.